Social Good Summit – #2030NOW
September 6, 2018
What world do you want to live in, in 2030?
Lol… It is like opening the door to the fantasy world, where imaginations are endless and limitless. You’d probably want to be able to travel round the world in 60 minutes at no cost. Lol… don’t worry, That’s mine. Who says it is impossible though?
A lot of things that were impossible a century ago have become realities today, and there are still lots of impossible frontiers being challenged on a daily basis. So, yes, your wildest imaginations can come true in 2030. However, it will remain a possibility until acted upon.
The Wright brothers believed men were supposed to fly, they didn’t stop at the possibility but began working on it and their work became the foundation of many groundbreaking discoveries in the aviation industry including inter-galactic travels.
Mark Zuckerberg saw a community not barred by distance, culture or civilization. He ended up building the third most populous “countries” in the world after China and India, as well as the most diverse on the globe, with hundreds of thousands of culture forming its population.
We may think we have seen the height of development yet, but guess what? There is more. And you can be a part of creating the noiseless, clean and civilized world you have imagined.
Here is what we want to see in 2030;
- A society where there is no hunger.
- A society where poverty is shown the red card.
- A society where inclusive and equitable quality education is every child’s right.
- A society where preventable deaths end.
- A society where all forms of discrimination against all women and girls ends.
- A society that has achieved universal and equitable access to safe and affordable drinking water for all.
- A society where energy efficiency rate is improved.
- A society that promotes sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, improved employment rate and better working conditions.
- A society that develops quality, reliable, sustainable and resilient infrastructure to support economic development and human well-being.
- A society that empowers and promotes the Social, economic and political inclusion of all, irrespective of age, sex, disability, race, ethnicity, origin, religion or economic or other status.
- A society that is safe and sustainable, with affordable housing.
- A society that makes efficient use of its natural resources
- A society where the impact of climate change is limited.
- A society where the fishes can survive without fear of pollution.
- A society where deforestation becomes a tale of the past.
- A peaceful society, free from violence, strife, wars, trafficking and abuse.
- A strengthened society that can stand on its own.
- A country where a bag of rice is N1,000, fuel is N1, education and health services are free, no corruption, no militants, herdsmen or terrorists.
We do not just imagine these in our heads, we are taking deliberate steps to accomplishing these feats. And one of those steps is the Social Good Summit Lagos, an annual meetup for innovators, leaders, impact-driven entrepreneurs and more.
Let’s do this together. Register for Social Good Summit Lagos, 2018, a platform that connects thought leaders who have already begun the process of creating #2030Now.
Temitope Durotoye is a Digital Leader, Teens' Coach and Self Discovery Enthusiast. He is a Content Developer at Social Good Lagos. He is passionate about making a difference in the world.
September 19, 2018
September 17, 2018